Thursday 2 May 2013

New loom!

I was very fortunate recently to receive a 60" loom. Yes, I already have two, but this opportunity was too good to pass up. So I wrangled by dad in to helping me pick it up on Tuesday. It's wonderful. It was originally intended to be a rug loom, so its really well constructed (large pieces of wood) and has a significant beater on it. And the best part it, I was planning to make a number of trips up to Fredericton this summer in order to make a few large 60" blankets, but now I don't have to! It's wonderful!

But first I decided to do something crazy. I have a 45" loom that I have yet to weave anything on because it needs to be rebalanced. And I don't know how to do that. The unfortunate thing is,I realized that AFTER I had put a big warp on it. So I haven't done anything with it yet. And I have a bit of a deadline.

So I did the craziest thing ever and transferred the warp from the 45" loom to the 60" loom. Before I dove in, I thought about what the best way to do that would be. I figured would be nice to not have quite as much work, so I left it attached to the front apron rod and through the reed and wound it all on the front beam until I got to the end of the warp on the 45". Now I'm threading the string through the heddles backwards (using a twill, so it's not too difficult to do backwards). Then I'm going to tie on the back and wind it back through until I get back to the front where I can fix the tension and start weaving.

Definitely probably not the wisest thing to do, but I want to get it done as soon as possible and I don't know when I will get to learn about how to rebalance looms.

E